Marie A. Barnes devotes herself to the practice of Criminal Defense and Family Law. In the area of Criminal Law Marie has prosecuted and defended Felonies and Misdemeanors. As a Certified Law Clerk in the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office Marie prosecuted cases in the Misdemeanor Division and the Felony Narcotics Division. As an attorney and in private practice Marie has represented defendants charged with DUI; theft offenses; domestic violence; assault & battery; sex offenses; property offenses; white collar crimes; and juvenile offenses.
In the area of Family Law Marie has focused on issues of domestic violence and how it affects either divorce or child custody. She has represented both sides in disputes involving domestic violence, representing both the aggressor and the victim(s). Marie prides herself on working collaboratively with all parties involved in an effort to reduce the litigation without compromising the outcome for her clients.
Clients facing criminal charges, or custody or domestic disputes are passing through one of the worst experiences of their lives. They need assertive representation, empathetic understanding of their situation, and full knowledge of alternative courses of action available to them. Marie is a service oriented attorney who works tirelessly to educate her clients so that they can make the best decisions in light of their individual circumstances.
Marie was born in San Francisco and is fluent in Spanish. She received her Bachelors degree from Sonoma State University in Political Science and Psychology and received her Juris Doctorate from Western Michigan University, Thomas Cooley Law School. In her spare time she volunteers for various organizations that provide legal services to the community.
- Admitted to Practice in the State of California
- Admitted to Practice before the U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- Sonoma State University
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science & Psychology
- Western Michigan University; Thomas Cooley Law School
- Juris Doctor with a concentration in Litigation
- Association of Latino Marin Attorneys ALMA
- Alameda County Bar Association
- Marin County Bar Association
- Richard Sangster American Inn of Court
Pro bono Activities
- Alameda County Bar Association Volunteer Attorney
- Contra Costa Lawyers in the Library
- Marin County Lawyers in the Library